Average sum returned

Our clients usually get 904 EUR returned on average.

Limitation period

Taxes from Austria can be returned for as many as the last 5 years.

Missing documents

If you do not have all the necessary documents - we can get them for you.

Duration of the procedure

Returning taxes from Austria takes 3 to 6 months.

Tax refund process

If you have worked in Austria during the last five years, you can file for a tax return. It is a simple procedure with RT Tax: register, gather the necessary documents, provide them to us, and we will take care of the rest!

Clients from Austria usually get 904 EUR returned on average.


Register for a tax return. Immediately after the registration you shall receive the documents submission form and further instructions. Our consultants shall contact you in 24 hours and answer all potential questions.

You can also download the documents submission form on your own. Find its filling examples here. After filling it in, you will have to gather all the documents necessary for a tax return.

Documents necessary for a tax return:

A copy of your passport or ID card;

Official documents certifying the holder’s identity and citizenship.

Forms Jahreslohnzettel or payslips Lohnzettel;

Jahreslohnzettel form is a document issued by the employer, containing information on the taxes paid and the salary received by an employee.

Payslip Lohnzettel is a document which contains information on a person’s income and paid taxes. It should be issued be employer together with salary.


State social insurance form from State Social Insurance Fund Board or form E9-Bescheinigung EU/EWR from State Tax Inspection;

A form from State Social Insurance Fund Board is a document which presents your income received in your home country. If you have a spouse, you will have to provide State social insurance form from State Social Insurance Fund Board or form E9 from State Tax Inspection for the spouse as well. Form E9 can be issued only for EU citizens. Download the E9 form here.

Registration and de-registration documents of residence in Austria (if you have it);

This document indicates when a person registered and de-registered from his place of residence of Austria. If you have this document provide it to us.

Rent agreement Mietvertrag (if you have it);

This document proves that a person rented a residence place in Austria. If you have this document provide it to us.

Rent bills, if it weren't compensated by employer (if you have it)

In certain cases this document can help to increase refundable sum of taxes. Provide rent bills to us if you have it. If you have this document provide it to us

NOTE: If you do not have all necessary documents – no problem! You can still begin your tax return procedure. Our experienced tax return experts shall retrieve your missing documents.

Submission of documents

Submit all the necessary documents and the documents submission form to us. Bring or send all the documents to our representative office via mail:

RT Tax

Business Center – Kaap Noord
Asterweg 17A2
1031 HL Amsterdam, Netherlands

Having received your documents, we will begin your tax return process immediately and inform you. You can follow the process by logging in to an online account, created especially for you.

When the foreign tax office returns your taxes, you will be informed by e-mail about the successful tax refund.

Do you have questions? We will answer them!

Can I file for the return of all the taxes from Austria?

If the income you have received in Austria for the year did not exceed the income tax threshold, you shall be returned all your taxes. If your yearly income is above that, you are only eligible to return the amount of income taxes you overpaid.

How long does the tax return process take?

Tax returns from Austria normally take 3-6 months, depending on the processes in Austria tax office. When we receive your documents, we review and process them, prepare your income tax declarations and send it to the tax office at Austria in the shortest possible amount of time.

What should I do if I do not have all the necessary documents?

If you do not have all necessary document, you can still begin your tax return procedure. We shall get your documents in order by contacting your former employer.

What are the service fees?

RT Tax does not apply any upfront or hidden charges, meaning, it shall cost you nothing to contact us in order to file for a tax return and the commission is only paid when the tax return process has been completed.

The charge for tax returns from Austria depends on the sum that is to be returned: 16 from the returned tax sum, but not less than 79 EUR.

If your missing Jahreslohnzettel forms need to be sought out, an additional charge of 20 EUR is applied.

Which years can I file a tax return for?

Taxes from Austria can be returned for as many as the last five years.

Didn't find the answer? Contact us

RT Tax specialists are ready to provide you with the free professional consultations