Average sum returned

Clients from Great Britain usually get 1017 GBP returned on average.

Limitation period

Taxes from Great Britain can be returned for as many as the last 5 years.

Missing documents

If you do not have all the necessary documents, contact us and we will help you get them.

Duration of the procedure

Returning taxes from Great Britain takes 4 to 6 months.

Tax return process

If you have worked in Great Britain during the last five years, you can file for a tax return. It is a simple procedure with RT Tax: register, gather the necessary documents, provide them to us, and we shall take care of the rest!

Clients from Great Britain usually get 1017 GBP returned on average.


Register for a tax return. Immediately after the registration you shall receive the documents submission form and further instructions. Our consultants shall contact you in 24 hours and answer all potential questions.

You can also download the documents submission form on your own. Find its filling examples here. After filling it in, you will have to gather all the documents necessary for a tax return.

Documents necessary for a tax return:

A copy of your passport or ID card;

Official documents certifying the holder’s identity and citizenship.

A copy of National Insurance Number (NIN) (if you have it);

NIN is a unique number issued to you by the Department for Work and Pension for life. It consists of 9 symbols.


National Insurance Number (NIN)

Copy of form P45 or/and P60 from all of your employers;

P45 – a document which contains information on a person’s income and paid taxes. It should be provided by employer at the time of leaving the employment.

P60 – a document which contains information on a person’s income and paid taxes. It should be provided in April.


Form P45

Form P60

Last payslips, if you do not have forms P45 or/and P60;

Payslip – a document which contains information on a person’s income and paid taxes. It should be issued be employer together with salary.


Last Payslip

A copy of CIS registration - UTR number (if you have it);

This document is required if you worked or registered as self-employed. UTR is a unique number issued by Great Britain tax authority. It consists of 10 digits.


CIS Registration

If you worked as self-employed (with UTR) we will need one of the following: Subcontractor Monthly Statements, Payment Statements (CIS) or bank account statements.

Subcontractor Monthly Statement contains information on a person’s income and paid taxes.


Subcontractor Monthly Statement

NOTE: If you do not have all required documents – no problem! You can still begin your tax return process. Contact us and we will help you get them.

Submission of documents

Submit all the necessary documents and the documents submission form to us. Bring or send all the documents to our representative office via mail:

RT Tax
E. Ožeškienės 15
LT-44254 Kaunas

Having received your documents, we will begin your tax return process immediately and inform you. You can follow the process by logging in to an online account, created especially for you.

When the foreign tax office returns your taxes, you will be informed by e-mail about the successful tax refund.

Other services

If you were self-employed in the UK, you have to file tax return with the UK Tax Authorities each year. UK Tax Authorities will impose a penalty if a tax return is not submitted on time. RT Tax experts will help you to fill out self-employed tax form and anul or reduce a penalty.

Self-employed (zero) tax return

Those who work as self-employed in Great Britain, must submit tax returns to Great Britain tax authority every year. Paper tax returns have to be submitted by October 31 while electronically-filed tax returns must be submitted by January 31.

Anual tax return must be submitted even if you have registered as self-employed but did not work in Great Britain or traveled abroad and did not inform Great Britain tax authority. In such cases, you should submit zero tax return. Great Britain Tax authority will impose a penalty for late filling. The penalty for being late one month is 100 GBP and it increases every month. The penalty may reach 1300 GBP if tax return is not submitted in a year.

We may help you to fill out tax return forms, cancel or reduce penalties for late filling.

Necessary documents:

  • A copy of your passport or ID card;
  • A copy of National Insurance Number (NIN) certificate;
  • A copy of CIS registration – UTR number.

Do you have questions? We will answer them!

What is a tax refund and Tax Declaration?

Tax Declaration is the income and tax information that a taxpayer provides to the tax authorities after the tax year is over.
After filing a Tax Declaration most of our clients are entitled to a tax refund as a result of applying the non-taxable amounts and various tax deductions.

How much taxes can I get back?

The tax refund amount depends on factors like total income; amount of taxes paid; period of work abroad, home country, etc. You can use our Online Calculator to check how much refund you can get. It is important to mention that the final refund amount is determined by the local Tax Authorities and only overpaid taxes are refunded.

Will I lose my social benefits/pension if I refund my taxes?

Tax refund has no impact on future opportunities to work abroad, pension, and other social guarantees. None of the social security taxes is being refunded during the process, only income taxes.

Can I get a tax refund if I only worked for a few months?

You can apply for tax refund even if you only worked for a few months (short-term contract, seasonal position, etc.). Tax refund procedure begins after the end of the fiscal year.

How will I receive my refunded money?

You will receive your money to your bank account you provide to us during your tax refund registration process. We use the services of licensed money remittance companies to ensure that the refunded money is received from Tax Authorities and forwarded to your bank account safely and quickly.

Is it mandatory to file tax declarations if I worked in Great Britain?

It depends on income and employment type. The best way to make sure if you are obliged to fill the declaration is to contact our specialist for free consultation and we will handle your individual case.

What should I do if I do not have all the necessary documents?

Most of the documents can be obtained and you can still begin the tax return procedure. Please contact our tax return experts and we will help to collect missing documents.

How long does the tax refund process take?

As soon as we receive all necessary documents from the client, we review them, prepare the Tax Declaration and send to the Great Britain Tax Office in the shortest possible time. Then the time frame depends only on the processes of the Tax Office. Usually it takes 4-6 months from the date the client’s Tax Declaration was sent.

What are the service fees?

RT Tax does not apply any upfront or hidden charges, meaning, it shall cost you nothing to contact us in order to apply for a tax refund and the commission is only paid when the tax refund process has been completed.

The charge for tax refund from Great Britain depends on the sum that is to be refunded: 14% from the refunded tax sum, but not less than 79 GBP.
If your missing P45/P60 forms need to be sought out, an additional charge of 20 GBP is applied.

Do I have to pay for your services if there is no refund available?

If there is no refund available you can cancel the process free of charge. Just be aware that in some cases it’s mandatory to file a Tax Declaration, failure to do so may result in fines and interest. If there is no refund available, but you have to file the declaration we can do that if you pay us the service fee.

Didn't find the answer? Contact us

RT Tax specialists are ready to provide you with the free professional consultations